- Prep Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup CSR Lite Reduced Calorie Sugar
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup mint leaves
- 2.5kg seedless watermelon
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into a jug. While still hot, add the mint leaves. Place in the refrigerator while you proceed with the next steps.
- Remove the skin from the watermelon and cut into large chunks. Place the watermelon in an electronic juicer or a blender, and juice. You will need approximately 1L of juice. Strain the juice through a fine sieve into a large bowl, to remove any excess pieces, pulp or seeds. Add the lime juice. Remove and discard the mint leaves from the sugar syrup and add the syrup to the juices. Mix to combine.
- Pour the watermelon mixture into two separate metal tins, approximately 20cm x 30cm in size. It is essential to use a metal tin as it keeps the granita at the right temperature to achieve the right consistency. Place in the freezer for 2 hrs.
- Remove trays from the freezer. The granita should have started to form ice crystals and begun to resemble slushy ice in some areas. Using a fork, mix the granita around, breaking up any large ice crystals. Return to the freezer. Remove the granita every hour from the freezer, stir and scrape it with a fork, continuing to break up the ice crystals, and return it to the freezer. Continue to do this until the granita is a suitable consistency to easily scoop out and serve.